Here comes the Alltel/AT&T switch

Sometime this morning, service to my Alltel cellphone will cease and my new AT&T cellphone will start working, assuming everything goes to plan.

This is happening because Alltel was bought up by Verizon last year. Government regulators decided that would give them too much market control here and damage competition, so Verizon was forced to sell the chunk of Alltel present in the Dakotas over to AT&T.

Because AT&T uses a completely different system from what Alltel ran, all its new customers needed new phones, which it has provided for free. That was smart. If they’d have told me I was required to buy my new phone, I’d have just left them.

They gave me a bunch of different options to choose from online. I picked a touchscreen model called the Samsung Eternity II. It came in the mail a few weeks or so ago. I don’t know if I like it yet. I haven’t even turned it on. But I did have AT&T move my contact numbers over, which they also did for free. Also a wise move.

Come morning, I’m supposed to turn it on, turn it off, and turn it on again. Then it’s supposed to be live from then on.

I’ll post updates on my experiences. If you’re also making the Alltel/AT&T switch, please share your experiences in the comments.

This entry was posted in News, North Dakota, posts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Here comes the Alltel/AT&T switch

1. Miki T-B says:

Hope you have better luck than we’ve had. We were switched on April 29 and it’s been a nightmare! The phones we chose….very user-UNfriendly. Our land line prefix and our cell phone pre-fix are the same. If we dial our cell phones from our landline…BUSY SIGNAL! And for a while, dialing from cell phone to cell phone that had the same prefix…BUSY SIGNAL! Called AT&T, first was told it was a problem with the cell phone service provider…wait…ummm, isn’t that AT&T????? Got the cell to cell problem corrected but it didn’t fix the land line to cell problem. Since I was in no mood to sit on hold again for several, and I mean SEVERAL minutes, I’m waiting until today to tackle that ongoing problem. This all tempts me to consider switching to Verizon; and I could continue using my old phone which I really liked! What a bunch of bleeping hooey!

2. Doug says:

So far so good. Our’s switched on Friday morning the 29th with no problems in service. The ‘free’ phone we choose is a Nokie 6350 i think. One complaint is there is not a ‘normal’ ring on it. Actually havent even found a ‘normal’ ringtone to download. But the service transfer was seamless as I could’ve asked and whether it is/was the phone or the service this is about 2x clearer than my Alltel was. I’d put a solid B on it so far.

3. Pingback: One day into the AT&T switchover | It's Good To Be In N.D.

4. Vince says:

My service switched today, May 4th. Everything’s perfect, except I can’t make or receive any calls. The speakerphone on the Samsung phone they sent me works great, too–except that it’s no louder than using the earpiece.

5. Doug says:

I had to make a trip into the AT&T store in Fargo today, and beyond the mob gathered……I looked at a coverage map. SW of Jamestown looks like you may as well be in Siberia…concerning….As I don’t get down that way until fall hunting & with a 30 day opt out. Not liking this. It’s listed as “planned coverage”. Sure and so is Pluto…

6. Sara says:

So far I do not like alltel. My phone was to switch in February, then in April, then in May. Here it in May 12th and I still have not switched. I am not sure I like this.

7. levi says:

atnt and me arn’t getting alonge i hate my new phone and am considering to switch over to verison i can’t get pictures or send them. i also get calls and they have been trying to get ahold of me for awhile and the call doesnt register. i really am not impressed