Below is a list of events in Jamestown this Sunday where you can celebrate Super Bowl XLV. This is not every single event, just the ones I found for this list. Some are watch parties, some are pre-game parties and some are just charity events. I’m also including bar events and sales at local stores that were advertised in The Sun.
I was going to post this on Saturday, but I saw that some sales were ending today so we moved it up a day.
- St. Johnâ€™s Lutheran Church is hosting Souper Bowl from noon to 1 p.m. Sunday in the Fellowship (basement) Hall. There will be six different kinds of soup plus sloppy joes, chips, dessert and beverages. The meal is offered by the Evangelism Board and is open to the public at no cost. There will be collection box at the hall for donations to the Community Action food pantry.
- Grace Episcopal Church is holding a tailgate party and worship beginning at 4:30 p.m. this Sunday with a brief service, followed by food, fellowship and the watching of the big game. The public is welcome to attend, children included. Grace is the stone church located at 405 Second Ave. N.E. For more information, visit www.graceepiscopaljamestown.com.
- The “Souper Bowl of Caring” is planned early Sunday at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 1403 Ninth Ave. S.E. Prior to the 10:30 a.m. worship service, soup kettles will be set out for donations for the Salvation Army. The two kettles will be labeled — one for the Green Bay Packers and one for the Pittsburgh Steelers — and a friendly competition to see which team earns the most donations of money and nonperishable food will be played out.
Bar and Restaurant events
- The Wonder Bar Sports Bar is planning a whole bunch of events starting at 5 p.m. Sunday for the big game. There will be food and door prizes (including a 26″ flatscreen TV) and a Scotch double pool tournament (Sign up by 1 p.m.) There will also be drink specials.
- The Corner Bar is planning a “301 Dart Tournament” to begin at 1 p.m. Sunday ($5, sign up by noon). For drinks, they’re offering $2 “whatevers … excluding top shelf” during the game. I don’t know what that means. They’re also promising free munchies.
- Grizzly’s Grill N’ Saloon is promising football, food and drink Sunday afternoon. They’re offering a Roadhouse burger and 22-ounce beer for $7.95, with beer refills for $2 and fries for a buck.
Throwing your own party?
- Sun Reporter Ben Rodgers wrote this story on keeping food healthy at home Super Bowl parties so you don’t get trapped in your recliner after too many hot wings.
- Cork & Barrel Liquors had an advertisement on page A2 in Friday’s Sun with all the beers, wines and other drinks they’ve got on sale.
- Hugo’s and County Market had big sales for party foods this past week, but their sales end today. You can read their circulars for details, or just go to the stores. There will also be new circulars with new sales in Saturday’s Sun.
- Hugo’s also had a full-page ad of sales on A10 in Friday’s newspaper.