I ate the lutefisk, and the lutefisk won

I made it to Trinity Lutheran Church’s Lutefisk and Meatball Supper last night. I ordered my food to go, as I had to get back to the newsroom to work on today’s newspaper.

I want to make the following explicitly clear: The people at Trinity were very kind and friendly to me and put on a great dinner. About 600 people had already eaten their food by the time I’d arrived, and more were coming, so you know it was not a failure. Also, people joke about lutefisk having a foul smell, but the aroma in the church’s hall was actually quite pleasant.

That being said, I now understand why lutefisk has its reputation. The flavor wasn’t so bad, but the texture really got to me. This will have to be the first and only time I eat the famed Norwegian delicacy, because the thought of eating it again now makes me gag.

It’s possible that my decision to take the food back to work was my downfall. The kind folks at Trinity said that if it’s served at the wrong temperature, it isn’t nearly as good to eat, and my lutefisk lost some of its warmth on the ride back to The Sun.

Anyway, the joke’s on me, as you can see from this video. What really surprises me, watching it now, is how strong my reaction looks. I thought I was hiding my reactions pretty well, but now it’s clear that I have absolutely no poker face.

I’ll also say that the cole slaw, meatballs, lefse and potatoes were very tasty and well made.

This entry was posted in Community, North Dakota, The Jamestown Sun and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to I ate the lutefisk, and the lutefisk won

1. Tracy Briggs says:

I loved your post! It was like I wrote it after my first experience with lutefisk. The people from the church were delightful! The fish even smelled okay. ALL BUTTERY!!! But man that TEXTURE….YUCK!!!!! I laid in bed that night feeling like my mouth was still covered in that gelatinous (sp?) substance. Blech! I enjoyed the video!

2. Kevin Urdahl says:

Learning to love lutefisk is sort of like learning a foreign language. There is a window of opportunity early in life when the brain is more plastic in which learning is easy, but as you grow older that window closes and learning is much, much more difficult. I feel fortunate that my grandpa started feeding me lutefisk before I was 2 years old, and now there are few foods I enjoy more! From watching the video, it is clear that your window has slammed shut! Nevertheless, I enjoyed very much. Thanks for sharing!

3. Pingback: Laughter, tears and a lutefisk video | The Farm Bleat

4. Danielle W. says:

Great Post! I’ve never tried lutefisk and oddly enough your post makes me want to give it a go. I’m shocked you went in for the second bite :) Keep up the good work

5. Pingback: Blog post: Trying lutefisk for the first time | North Dakota News

6. Donna Fischer says:

I don’t understand why you took the second bite either. Ha-ha I grew up with lutefisk for all holidays, but I really don’t care for it. My sister and I tried it again
    last night, but I’m sorry I still cannot eat that stuff! Everything else was really
    good.

7. chiefsleepyeye says:

I’m not so sure even with all of the nasty things he eats, Bear Grylls would be able to stomach lutefisk.

8. Danny says:

Oooooh, the church basement ladies at Trinity are gonna be mad at you.

9. Pingback: 1985: Think Lutefisk. Then Think Again. | REPRINT | A Blog of the Daily Globe

10. Pingback: Somalis make, eat lefse. What’s next? Lutefisk? | It's Good To Be In N.D.